Monday, 8 February 2016

The Calendar & an excuse to scrapbook

A few weeks ago when I started the pill ("down-regulation"), my clinic emailed me a calendar. They made a big fuss about it - had to print and bring the calendar to the orientation, need to bring the calendar to every appointment. I don't really get it - I'm paying how much and they can't print out paper for me? And of course the calendar is really ugly.

I have a bit of a problem with ugly paper. I like things that look nice. This doesn't even look clinical - it just looks messy. I don't like it. I don't want to carry around a shabby folded piece of ugly paper with me everywhere. (I know, silly, right? Who cares about stuff like this? Me, apparently.)

I printed a copy really really tiny on cardstock. With a really fine-tipped pen I can write in the correct doses at each appointment, and the card will fit nicely into my purse. It's not quite business card size, but not too much bigger. Business card size would mean I probably wouldn't have room for new doses, so that defeats the purpose.

Small and on cardstock is better. But it's still ugly.

I thought about getting a planner and re-writing everything. I like the pocket-size Moleskines. They're compact and utilitarian. Just one problem: it's February and there are none to be found.

So I made myself a little planner scrapbook for the next four weeks.

I searched through the blogosphere and Pinterest for a printable weekly planner, but I couldn't find one I liked, so I made my own that fit the style of the paper I had chosen. I printed four weeks worth for where things should be happening...from the day I start stimulation through to implantation. I added colourful banners for notable events or days - first injection, first blood test, etc.  And a few stickers.


But it isn't the official calendar. So I made a pocket between two pages, and stuck the tiny cardstock official calendar in there with a round pull-tab. Now I can have it with me just in case there's a need for the official calendar (though I hope I can use mine!).

I also had this cute little 'Health Check' card amongst my scrapbook supplies, so I added it to the pocket, too. The pocket has some more room, so if I get any other necessary or interesting (but ugly) pieces of paper, I can stuff them in there.

Obviously this is a work in progress, because I don't know the dates for everything upcoming. But I feel SO much better carrying this around rather than a folded piece of 8.5 X 11.

And the whole thing fits neatly into a little envelope I also decorated, so that if it falls out of my purse at work it won't announce "I'm doing IVF!!!!" to the world.
 

I haven't made a scrapbook for quite a while so I had a ton of fun making this. I actually started out making a 2016 monthly planner; this little one was an adjunct to that project.

Anyone else get creative with their calendar?
By the way, if anyone is interested in getting the source file for the Weekly Planner, shoot me a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment