Saturday, 30 January 2016

Gonal-f & irony

One of the medications I will be taking this cycle is Gonal-f. I wanted to do some research to try to determine if there was any difference between the multi-use pen (which they carry at my clinic) and the single doses, and then planned to ask at my local pharmacy to see if I could get either option and if there was any price difference. I know I could ask at my clinic, and perhaps I will, but I also like googling and I can't help but think about how the clinic is motivated to have good outcomes but not necessarily motivated to give me the least expensive options.

I have not managed to find the answer to my question, because I read some of the information on Gonal-f on the product monograph at drugs.com (http://www.drugs.com/pro/gonal-f.html). And this sentence stopped me in my tracks:

Recombinant FSH production occurs in genetically modified Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cells cultured in bioreactors.

Say what?



By the way, Menopur is made from the purified urine of post-menopausal women. Somehow that doesn't freak me out nearly a much as GMO-hamsters.


I had been thinking about feeding any resulting baby organic food, etc. How ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment